My son has not paid child support; I am very upset at his irresponsible attitude. What should I do?

It’s almost impossible to force someone into doing what we think they should, writes advice columnist Eleanor Gordon-Smith, but you can try to help him

My 27-year-old son is the father of a two-year-old girl. He and his girlfriend broke up shortly after the baby was born. They had been living with his girlfriend’s family and she had agreed to move in with my son and his father after three months. When she changed her mind he felt betrayed and the relationship deteriorated.

I had concerns about their plan to have a baby from the beginning but we were only informed once she was pregnant. My issue is that my son has not paid child support to date. He says he will start paying once his ex-girlfriend allows him unsupervised visitation with his daughter.

Continue reading…